www.trivia-utopia.co.uk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
www.trivia-utopia.co.uk

trivia

Back to Trivia-UtopiaHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Auntie Gripemima's Recipe Corner

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Gripe
BOFH
Gripe

Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2008-07-03

Auntie Gripemima's Recipe Corner Empty
PostSubject: Auntie Gripemima's Recipe Corner   Auntie Gripemima's Recipe Corner Icon_minitimeFri Jul 11, 2008 3:29 am

For dipping, adding to tacos, smearing on neighbor's cat to teach it a lesson.

Easy as anything.

3-4 tomatoes, chopped in quarters
A medium sized onion, white/red
5-8 cloves of garlic, use less if yer a fraidycat
appropriate amount of chiles Wink
1-4 habaneros (thats for us chile masochists out there)
2-5 chipotles/jalapenos
Any chile works here, you get slightly different taste depending on what you use. If you're a chile n00b, put in less first, then add if you think there's not enough.
Salt, sugar, lime/lemon juice to taste
General rule, twice as much sugar as salt. Start with 1 ts of salt and 2 of sugar. Not too much lime juice, just a quarter lime works fine.

Put all in a glass and blitz the crap outta it. I use one of those wandblender thingys, works a treat.

Get yer chips (crisps for you brits) and yer beer and enjoy. Is even better the next day, keeps a day or two in the fridge, covered.
Back to top Go down
http://www.trivia-utopia.co.uk/gripe.html
Engel
Admin
Engel

Number of posts : 100

PostSubject: Re: Auntie Gripemima's Recipe Corner   Auntie Gripemima's Recipe Corner Icon_minitimeSat Jul 12, 2008 1:34 pm

Hey Auntie Gripemima the recipes sound delicious and I sure hope Bass makes it soon. I do have one question however. How long after eating such a potent dish do you have to remain in solitary confinement so as not to gas your loved ones?? jocolor

Keep the yum yums comin!
Back to top Go down
http://trivia-utopia.co.uk
Gripe
BOFH
Gripe

PostSubject: Methane and the greenhouse effect   Auntie Gripemima's Recipe Corner Icon_minitimeSat Jul 12, 2008 1:51 pm

"Beans beans the musical fruit, the more you eat the more you toot!" - Bart Simpson

Ok, if your body is unaccustomed to beans, expect to be self sustainable in greenhouse gases for half a day, sometimes overnight. Embarassed
If you eat lots of beans tho, your body gets better at breaking down the complex sugars in them, and the effect is minimized. Rolling Eyes
Beans are good for you though, good for the digestion as roughage and nutritionally.
Back to top Go down
diamond126

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2008-07-11

PostSubject: Re: Auntie Gripemima's Recipe Corner   Auntie Gripemima's Recipe Corner Icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2008 9:42 am

[strike]oh u have sugar in the salsa recipe..can i use a sugar substitute?
Back to top Go down
Gripe
BOFH
Gripe

PostSubject: Yes   Auntie Gripemima's Recipe Corner Icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2008 10:48 am

Yes, you can substitute sugar, but pay heed to the instructions of the particular sweetener you use. I'd use xylitol, it's pretty much 1:1 to use. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Gripe
BOFH
Gripe

PostSubject: That weird potato salad sarnie i'm always eating   Auntie Gripemima's Recipe Corner Icon_minitimeTue Jul 22, 2008 7:30 am

Thought i'd put it in here cause i likes it!

The processed cheese i'm referring to is very like melted cheese in appearance, i dunno another word for it in English. You can get it in individual packages or as a spread. I use the spread stuff.

You get 2 slices of wheat bread. Don't really matter which kind. I usually use wholewheat.

On one slice you spread a goodly amount of the processed cheese. Put that one aside for a while.
On the other slice, drizzle some drops of tabasco or tabasco habanero sauce, or your other chili sauce.
Put some potato salad on top, spread it evenly, but don't spread all the way to the edge, unless you wanna be wearing some of the stuff.
Put a slice of ham, smoked or boiled are ma faves here, on top of the potato salad to keep it in place.
Put a good sized lettuce leaf or two on top of that.
Put the cheesy slice of bread on top.

Invert and enjoy.

Messy, but goooood!

PS. Luvya, i'm still waiting for that pie recipe from ya!
Back to top Go down
Engel
Admin
Engel

Number of posts : 100

PostSubject: Re: Auntie Gripemima's Recipe Corner   Auntie Gripemima's Recipe Corner Icon_minitimeTue Jul 22, 2008 11:12 am

I am really amazed at how good that sounds affraid or am i just hungry at the moment??
Back to top Go down
http://trivia-utopia.co.uk
luvya

luvya

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2008-07-12

PostSubject: Asian Sweet Chilli Sauce with pic   Auntie Gripemima's Recipe Corner Icon_minitimeSun Jul 27, 2008 10:56 pm

Sweet Chilli Sauce

Cuisine type: Asian
Cooking time: Less than 60 minutes
Course: Condiment

INGREDIENTS

100g birds eye chillies
100g long red chillies
2 cups white vinegar
2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons salt
2 cloves garlic, chopped

METHOD

Remove the stalk from the chillies. Remove the seeds from half of the chillies for a milder sauce, or keep them whole.

Place the chillies, vinegar, sugar and salt on a blender. Process until blended.

Transfer to a saucepan and simmer for 15 minutes. Add garlic and simmer for a further 5 minutes. Pour into sterilised jars.

Auntie Gripemima's Recipe Corner Asian_11
Back to top Go down
luvya

luvya

PostSubject: fix my mistake please Gripe   Auntie Gripemima's Recipe Corner Icon_minitimeSun Jul 27, 2008 11:00 pm

Gripe can you delete the sweet chilli recipe without the pic please???

I followed your instructions and got the pic to stick and I didnt break it *hehe fanks Smile
Back to top Go down
luvya

luvya

PostSubject: luvya's shepherds pie   Auntie Gripemima's Recipe Corner Icon_minitimeMon Jul 28, 2008 12:17 am

luvya's Shepherds Pie (Serves 4) american measurements are in the ( )

500g (17 ozs) lean minced (ground) beef or lamb
1 finely chopped onion
1 carrot, finely chopped
1 cup frozen peas
2 garlic cloves, crushed
200ml(7 ozs) chicken stock or 1 stock cube dissolved in water
200g (7 ozs) tin of tomatoes
1 tbp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp mixed herbs
750g (a lil over 1 1/2lbs) potatoes
25g (just under 1 oz) butter
1/2 to 1 cup grated cheddar or block cheese - depends on how cheesey one likes it

Place the meat in a large frying pan with a lil oil and heat gently, stirring frequently, until the meat begins to brown. Drain off any fat that comes out of the meat.

Add the onions carrots peas and garlic and continue to cook for 10 minutes. Stir in the stock and tomatoes and bring to the boil.

Add the Worcestershire sauce and herbs cover the pan and simmer gently for 25 mins giving it the occasional stir.

Meanwhile cook the potatoes in boiling water until tender, then drain and mash, mixing in the butter.

Turn the meat into an ovenproof dish. Top with mashed potato and smooth over with a fork. Sprinkle grated cheese on top. (some of the cheese can be added into the mashed potatoes to give it extra cheesey flavour also some finely chopped spring onions)

Cook in a preheated oven at 200C -fan forced 180c- (392f-360f) for about 30 minutes until golden brown and cheese is melted.

Auntie Gripemima's Recipe Corner Shephe10
Back to top Go down
Gripe
BOFH
Gripe

PostSubject: Dessert i've decided to call Xeno's Date Heaven :D   Auntie Gripemima's Recipe Corner Icon_minitimeSun Apr 25, 2010 8:06 am

Hey hey, Auntie Gripemima's back with a vengeance!

Soo, this deeee-lish little dessert recipe. It's easy as hell, takes abt 5 mins total, and has never failed me yet. Not had a single bad feedback either, and i make food for picky eaters. Very Happy

Okies, ingredients:

Fresh fruit, pretty much all work (except citrus fruits), altho if you use more acidic or tart fruits, use more sugar.
Fresh berries, any kind. Same thing with the sugar.

I usually use:
1 apple, any kind
1 banana
1 mango or a third of a pineapple
Fistful of blackberries
Fistful of raspberries
Fistful of strawberries

Or any combination thereof, experiment yourself, i've never had a bad batch come out.

Peel and cut the fruit into bitesized pieces. Put onto a hot frying pan, the ones with high sides are best, but whatever works. Very Happy

Put sugar on top and toss around. Fry until sugar starts to caramelize. I use demerera sugar usually, but regular white sugar's just fine. I'd start with maybe a third of a cup, max half a cup.

Then the piece de resistance, pour about 1/3rd a cup of brandy/cognac on top and flambé the thing. Meaning you set fire to it. Use a cigarette lighter or something. Toss around until the flames go out (which means all the alcohol is gone, so kids can eat this too). Take off the heat and ladle this on top of vanilla ice cream.

Enjoy. Very Happy

PS. A couple of precautions regarding the flambé. If you have a ventilation thingy on top of your stove, turn it off prior, so u don't get a greasefire going in the duct. Might be a good idea to just take the pan off the stove altogether for the flambé. If you have a gas range, might be a good idea to turn off the gas prior to adding the alcohol, the open flame will likely ignite it as soon as you pour. Its fine if you know to expect it, just don't come crying to me if yer missing an eyebrow. Wink

Okies, that's it from your favourite agony Auntie, Auntie Gripemima!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Auntie Gripemima's Recipe Corner   Auntie Gripemima's Recipe Corner Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Auntie Gripemima's Recipe Corner
Page 1 of 1